- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Have ready a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch plain tip.
- Break the almond paste into small pieces and place in bowl of electric mixer along with the sugar.
- Mix on low speed until very fine.
- Add the egg whites in three additions, mixing well after each addition.
- Continue mixing the dough until very smooth, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Fill the pastry bag with the almond mixture.
- Pipe 11/2 inch mounds onto the parchment paper, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- After you have filled the baking sheet with cookie mounds, take a damp paper towel and lightly press the top of each cookie to smooth out the surface.
- Lightly sprinkle a little sugar on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cookies have risen, are a deep golden color and have tiny cracks.
- Remove from the oven and place baking pan on a rack to cool.
- When cool gently peel cookies from parchment.
- If they stick to parchment, turn the paper over, take a damp paper towel and gently wipe the bottom of the parchment paper to loosen the cookie.